Sunday, 12 April 2009

Stealing All Those Cars

Track 4 from the album Letters to Cyril Connolly.

You were in a plane crash
Now there's a story that you want to rehash
How you grew up without a mother
Until your father went and found another
She was cruel and hurt you
But you never let your courage desert you
And eventually you cornered her upstairs
And you told her to her face
You are the reason I can't be myself
And everything I do seems weird
You are the reason I had no childhood
And why I can't stop stealing all those cars
It began at playgroup
When you fed your best friend some mudsoup
They called the counsellor so you could be treated
But they eventually retired defeated
And the babysitter
Who had thing for Gary Glitter
Came to realise that working evenings
Wasn't what he had in mind
You are the reason that I am no good
And I've had trouble with rules
You are the reason I'm such a rebel
And why I can't stop stealing all those cars
What you need is closure
And a little less obscene exposure
But the papers keep throwing you money
And everybody wears less when it's sunny
It's a shame you're leaving
And it's only yourself you're deceiving
Maybe one day you'll pay back what you owe me
And maybe pigs will fly
On to your next victim
Working through the phonebook till you find him
There won't be time to form a serious friendship
Before you send him off on his first trip
And you're always blameless
Or at least you're staying safely nameless
It's all because of where you started
Somebody else's mess

11 comments:

  1. Another instant classic Mr Earwicker. I cannot wait for your next album to be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, your music is great and your playing skills are wonderful. From a fellow Johnny Marr and Ricky enthusiast. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic. Dark and creepy guitar. I've spent the last two night learning this on my Ric 360. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the lyrics are some of your best so far.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Great work.

    An instant favorite in my house full of musicians.

    Good to see someone dedicated to their craft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is awesome, my god, can i BUY your album? do u ever play? would u come to cork in ireland to do a gig? i never thought myself worthy to own a ricky, but hell u have inspired me to go for it (once ive paid off the loan i took out for my fender jaguar ;)) thank u for making ur music accessable. this track makes my hair stand on end and my heart jolt...u really have something going on thats very very inspiring

    --c. regan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive!!!
    You let the rickenbacker realy ring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fan.... fucking.....tastic.....
    Probably too late but this should be the opening track of the album !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superbly written in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. im so happy i learned this on my jag, i still dream of rickenbackers, and this is my fave, my eyes well up as soon as it starts, i know ive commented before..but you can wield melancholy and melody in a terrifying and magical way...i have not been here in a while, going to pig out on all your songs for the day...:)hope all is well with you and your lovely guitars :) if you ever get sick of your 12/660 let me know lol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. billy from blackpool16 August 2012 at 13:53

    awesome song,Daniel you are a genius,im a massive fan,would love to see you live,although your videos are fantastic

    ReplyDelete